Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: University CobreFlex

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    University CobreFlex

    I've got a single Cobreflex (actually had a Bogen label) ..... which sounds much better now that I turned the driver around to the proper direction. However, it doesn't reach very high, which I suspect is due in part to the phenolic diaphragmed public address driver...... EV DC30B. I'd love to be able to put some other driver on it, maybe a small format Altec, or possibly something else. The Cobreflex is of course set up for a screw on driver, which I believe, I've read, is not the best concept..... or is it simply that running an adapter is less than optimum?

    Also, the driver actually screws into a floating collar that is loose, even when the driver is screwed in all the way..... anybody know how that is supposed to work?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: University CobreFlex

    Yeah, from dim memory it seems to me a 5 kHz XO to a super tweeter was required. There's nothing conceptually wrong with a screw on driver, but if there's a poor line up with the horn throat, then extreme HF response suffers, another reason to use a super tweeter.

    Adapters are almost always a compromise since they typically don't go 'the extra mile' design/manufacturing wise.

    Altec's thick cardboard gasket really messes with its HF response. Bell Labs/W.E. got it right originally with a screw coupling collar and I don't understand why it wasn't universally copied since it's a common pipe fitting in the public domain, ergo can't be patented.

    I've assembled many a University branded system and never seen a floating collar, so have no idea what you've got. Normally, you just screw the driver on until the rubber O-ring is lightly compressed and it's one with the horn.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: University CobreFlex

    Here's a couple of pictures of the threaded collar.

    9

    Cobreflex 1
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Horn Savant's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2008
    Posts
    111
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: University CobreFlex

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Bell Labs/W.E. got it right originally with a screw coupling collar
    GM

    Also I notice the later WE (mid 30's) had machined indentation for coupling receiver to horn attach (594A-to-19A for instance)--

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.